Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The one with sausage snobbery amongst other things

Like many things in this blog, this post may seem a bit "out there". But it makes sense, like every other post!

Its been suggested that I explain my sausage snobbery at length on the blog. An elaboration of sorts. Over the last few years, Ive had a great love affair with cooking, and I still do. And when you start removing your pants to cook books and frying pans, you pay a bit more attention to the actual food you buy and cook with. So a while back I started paying attention to the pork content in sausages. For as long as I can remember, any oul pack of sausages would have been horsed into the shopping trolley. Then, when I started the love affair with spatulas and the likes, we started getting sausages that had 80% pork content. How can I describe the difference?


Well, take the movie I am Legend. NYC was a desolate, barren but relatively safeish place by day. Wander around at night and shit would pull your brains out through you belly button and eat them. Its that much of a difference. Night and day literally. In the taste, in the texture and so on. While the 80% pork content sausages may cost a few cent more, you should never buy anything less. If you cant get 80% pork content ones, then 75% is all you should settle for. Otherwise, forget it! So hopefully that explains my sausage snobbery! 80% or bust! Read the back of the feckin packets! So anyway, and I'm in no way associated with them, much love goes to the Princes St. butchers, O Donovans!

So what else is going on? Not much really, bar the painting fiasco. Painter organised for Saturday, fucker never turns up. No phone calls, nothing! Maybe his horse broke down. So I painted the damn room myself, which completely defeated the purpose of paying someone to do it. Either way, I wasnt tackling the stairs, hall and landing, as Im too lazy, once was enough. So a far more reliable painter was organised and he done a good job yesterday. Only thing is, I had to get the paint made up for the size of the stairs etc. and when you get it made up, its never, ever exactly the same. 2 hours were spent until 3 am debating whether there was a tint of yellow in the damn thing, and yes there is. So repaint.com

And on a final note, my producer, Eimear bought herself a nice, new 450D Canon in Merica, and took this rather good shot. I normally dont look as happy :) And yes, that is one of the cooler t-shirts around!

Rock on...or something!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

80%pork Vic?
Sausage meat consists of all whats left over after they take the main cuts out!
All the pig is used or cow or lamb whatever.
So what you are getting in your sausages is mainly offal, heart, lungs. kidneys plus genitals,eyelids,tongues,ears etc etc. Sorry to bust yer bubble but that is what you get no matter what they tell you!
Still tastes ok though LOL!

Eimear Varian Barry said...

ive something to get off my chest!

sausage snob!!
how the HELL can one be a sausage snob??????


just looking at the other comment there...GENITALS?????????


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Vic Barry said...

Im not really bothered about pig balls etc.etc. but 80% vs 50% pork content, is a no feckin contest! Balls n all!

Anonymous said...

Get some pork on yer fork!