Monday, May 26, 2008

The one with a Crystal Skull and some bloke called Indy

My memory isn't good and my maths is worse, but the last time I saw an Indiana Jones flick in the cinema was when I was sprouting hairs in places where; I didn't have any books to explain what they were. Either way, I was a little bit skeptical of the new Indy flick, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The trailers looked great, Ford looked superb as Indy, what could go wrong? 19 years is along time for movie series to wait for another episode and inevitably these kinds of flick never, ever live up to the massive Internet hype machine. Its impossible. Theres more chance of Victoria Beckham drinking a gallon of chip fat!!!!! Theres more chance that Paris Hilton will become a member of Mensa!!!! Feck, theres more chance of the Cloverfield monster being dead!!!!I am and always will be a huge fan of Lucas and Spielberg, these feens moulded a part of my childhood as they did for many of you. So I knew it was going to be good, but not sure how good it could be. Myself and Ger arrived in Mahon Point for the 11.45pm showing Saturday night, and strolled into a fairly quiet screen 1. Not a good sign I thought to myself, but it opened since Thursday and half of Cork were staggering around Cardiff. A quarter were still trying to digest the dodgy Chinese they ordered in, for the Ricky Hatton fight and 90% of the other quarter were more than likely having sex. The remaining 10% were going to see the new Indy flick!!!!

I'm not going to go into plot details or the likes, but if you are anyway clued into general pop culture, the opening 5 minutes will more or less give you a helluva an idea where the movie is headed. In particular the Hangar 51 sign. Basically,
What didn't I like about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? Not alot surprisingly. The one thing that I was absolutely dreading was Shia LeBeouf. And no, I still don't know how to pronounce his name. Bar his "What the fuck were you thinking Mr.Spielberg" swashbuckling scene on a jeep, the Kid in Transformers pulled off a fairly decent performance. Should Indy end up in an old folks home for the next movie, can this kid pull off being an Indy type character, I would think so. But if that's the case and Indy is in the opening 5 minutes of the next flick, drooling and wetting himself and it all revolves around Shia, then Steven and George, don't bother lads. Please!!!!

Theres great action in the movie with some fantastic stunts and a couple of wondrous one liners. The die hard Indy fans will no doubt be whipping themselves as it is no way as good as Raiders and Doom. Its on par with the Last Crusade, just! Its a big popcorn movie, that couldn't live up to the hype, but its enjoyable none the less. Your going to love or quite possibly hate the ending. Me, I loved it! Theres also a nice little moment with Shia at the very end (the hat scene) that put a huge smile on my face. Harrison Ford doesn't look 120 to be fair. As soon as he dons the Fedora, you don't give a shit if he has a buss pass. He's Indiana Jones!!!!!!!!!! I gave it 7.5 / 10 on the show last night. I'd love to give it more, maybe a second viewing is in order!!!! Roll on the Blu-Ray. Some will be disappointed, but many, like many who had the attitude of the Star Wars prequels ("Its Star Wars for god sake") will just say "Its Indiana motherfuckin' Jones". And you know what, that's not a bad thing!!!!!

" Damn, I thought that was closer! "