Thursday, May 01, 2008

The one with addiction

Am I addicted to the web? Unfortunately, I think its safe to say I am. I haven't stolen some wifi signals.....yet!

I woke up this morning with the thoughts of a netless world swimming around my extremely large and intelligent brain (!). I broke out in a sweat, started shivering and at one stage I saw a baby crawling across the ceiling. Well....maybe not as bad as that but it did send a little shiver up my spine. If my net disappeared in the middle of the night, where would I be able to get an inbox fix of Russian brides, penis enlargement pills and some fella asking me to hold onto 10 trillion $'s in my bank account and if I do it for a day, he'll give me a spaceship or something.

Movie tickets, CD's (rarer now as itunes and beatport chew my credit card up on nearly a daily basis), Books, Blu-Rays , Water Filters for the fridge, Bar Stools, Flights, Hotels, Empire State Building tickets, Jalapeno Popcorn, a small selection of the endless of shite I've bought over the net. And that's just the buying part of it. I use the thing on a daily basis for emails, research, entertainment and of course the oul blog. I'm a big fan of public forums. The addiction is so bad, that I have my Ipod touch planked permanently next to the bed, much to the dismay of she who must be obeyed. Its used at all times of the night. I use Google Reader on the Ipod and can easily spend an hour or more at 3 in the morning catching up on various shit. I wake up and do the exact same thing, although I normally check the work email first, in case there's grief.

The net also works as a time machine for me. And no it doesn't involve tying the laptop onto the back of the car and driving through a car park at 88mph, or 142kmh!!!!!! If I have something in the Oven and need 30 minutes to kill, I 'll go online. To what seems like 3 minutes to me, in net time that's actually 30 minutes. Amazing.

Another thought has just hit me like a group of rampaging elephants. What would I actually do without the web? How would I get stuff together for the show? Or would I just slump in the couch and watch Oprah? Its not worth thinking about. Internet addiction is comparable to other addictions like gambling. Well, I reckon If this was gambling related I'd be living in a tent after selling the house for a few tips at some race track!

To some reading, you may well say what a sad bollocks. But, how many of you gawk endlessly at youtube or bebo your arse to all your "bebo friends". But, I do have a social life, I do get out, once theres a public wifi signal and I have my Ipod Touch!!!!!

I'm joking....I think!

No comments: