Tuesday, July 04, 2006

THE update

I have to keep this shortish but before I explain what happened, thank you all so very much for all the get well texts, emails and calls over the last few days!

Last Wednesday is a day that I will never ever, ever, EVER forget! I woke up at around 8am with an almighty crushing, heavy pain in the middle of my chest. After a few seconds, I felt I was in serious trouble. As a matter of fact I thought I was going to die! Ger woke up and sprang into action and convinced me to go to hospital. Yes, I needed convincing. All I wanted was to see a doctor. She rang my parents, and my Dad came with us. I ended up in the South Infirmary by around 8:45, with no color in me, the pain still ripping through me and out of breath. Throughout the journey to the hospital it felt as if my life was flashing before my eyes, again I was still in the mindset that I was dying. I kept thinking what will happen to Ger, my parents, the house even the dog if I kick the bucket. By around lunchtime the doctors had advised me to stay in for a few days, and against their advice I signed myself out much to everyones disapointment. I went to see my own GP that night, as advised and he was none too happy. He wanted me to get admitted, but again I refused. I had to go for a Stress Test this morning which was one of the most uncomfortable experiences Ive had in some time. I wouldnt be known for running many marathons and the treadmill getting steeper and faster every 3 minutes, completely left me shattered. Thankfully my heart has got the ok since this morning. I may still have to get more tests, including a camera into the gob, but my heart is fine.

Personally, I feel absolutely shagged. Its been a draining week. My holidays kick off from the show this Thursday, and after arguing (again) with the head honchos at the station about coming back to work tonight, they convinced me to stay the "Fuck out of the place". While I greatly appreciate the sentiment, that show means a helluva lot and as some of you know, I despise taking holidays. Either way, Im not going to back on the air until the 17th of July. Im keeping away from the PC, started exercising, watching the diet, not getting stressed out as a matter of fact, its a whole new life from now on in. I have no choice, simple as that. Last Wednesday was a wake up call from a severley pissed off bull elephant. So thats me done. Again my sincere thanks to all the staff at the South Infirmary, some of them were even fans of the show! My sincere thanks to Ger and my parents, the only loves of my life. My thanks to Dave Mac for filling in, I know its tough. My thanks to Don and Eimear for producing. My thanks to Colm for everything. Seriously folks, thank you all so, so, so much for all the kind words and wishes, it means so much and has helped put a major smile on my face!

Thank YOU!


Donal said...

Good to hear you're on the mend. Take your time coming back, you can tell us all about it then and be advocating a life of Tai Chi and healthy eating.

Oh yeah, you're some stubborn langer!! :)

PS: I have to put in a code before I can post this comment and it ends in "pain". Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear yer on the mend Vic, Ya ahead us worried there for a while Boy! Chill out and keep the stress down. All the best from Da unk in OZ.

kat said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! Just do what your told and don't get stressed & take it easy! I was very concerned for you...


Anonymous said...

Hey Victor.. Bary hear from Minnesota..

take care of yourself.. please follow doctors advice.. your family needs you.. and so do your listeners..

HOT TUB JENN said...

oh my god, thank the lord ur getting better, no more stress hon and take it easy and one day at a time, your in our thoughts and our prayers

Anonymous said...

Just read what happened to you!
Some shock you must have got.

Hope you get better soon and take care.


Vic Barry said...

Thanks folks. Appreciate it big time!!